There are no great schools without great teachers - the key to education is the person at the front of the classroom.
This is an exciting time in which to join our professional body of teachers across the North Yorkshire Coast. Our schools are thriving and with such a sense of community and partnership, a modern way of working has allowed us to collaborate and work in partnership so that we can adapt and evolve.
We are part of the North Yorkshire Opportunity Area that is prioritising improvements to education and numeracy and literacy outcomes, alongside a drive to recruit and retain high-quality, motivated teachers to the area - what are you waiting for?
Teachers like you have the opportunity on the North Yorkshire Coast to be supported to have a enriched career that remains attractive to you as your career and life develops. We recognise and have developed a range of distinctive opportunities to give you the confidence to engage in additional professional and leadership development, as well as access to fully-funded national professional qualifications.
Continual Professional Development
Our commitment to professional and ongoing Continual Professional Development is delivered throughout the North Yorkshire Coast.
Early Careers Teachers
For Early Careers Teachers joining us on the coast your induction year will challenge, support and enable your teaching practice to fly!
You will have access to training programmes which include effective evaluation, learning how to develop strategies by identifying learning barriers in a classroom and developing and delivering an enriched curriculum to support learning for all.
Our bespoke Primary NQT programmes adhere to our core principals of making sure you develop over the year by allowing you access to lesson studies, teach meets, evidence based research and exploring your own leadership through reflection and celebration in a positive and highly effective way in which to share your journey into becoming an excellent practitioner.
Our bespoke Secondary NQT programme explores ‘what does great teaching look like?’ behaviour management, effective planning, formative assessment, marking, SEND, literacy around the curriculum, engage & stretch, high quality teaching, self-review, work life balance.
Your training is embedded around your individual schools CPD Plan with access to bespoke school visits, based on Leadership Project themes and opportunities to observe outstanding practitioners within your subject.
Recently Qualified Teacher
Your Recently Qualified Teacher years are very important and we will invest and ensure you engage in a vibrant, supportive but challenging teaching and learning community; learning skills to refine your teaching practice with practical support, strategies and ideas. Collaboration is the key!
You will have access to training programmes that explore key skills and competencies required for you to thrive in the classroom. Your future career pathway may include you developing into a leadership role through combining in-school coaching support, a gap task, and opportunities for personal reflection and action planning. Entry to these programmes will improve classroom practice and help you develop towards middle leadership.
Early Career Framework
North Yorkshire Coast Schools are committed to the Early Career Framework (ECF) which underpins an entitlement to a fully-funded, two-year package of structured training and support for early career teachers. This training is linked to the best available research evidence:
- funding and guaranteeing five per cent off-timetable in the second year of teaching for all early career teachers; as well as a ten per cent timetable reduction in their first year of induction
- creating high quality, freely available ECF curricula and training materials
- establishing full, high quality ECF training programmes
- funding time for mentors to support early career teachers
- fully funded mentor training
See this Department for Education Early Career Framework document for more information.
Middle and Future Leaders
Your career is about to take a massive leap… the Opportunity Area fund provides CPD to secondary school senior and middle leaders to enable critical skills development in the area of change management and managing staff.
The courses available are fully funded for all secondary schools. These courses are delivered in collaboration with Scarborough Teaching School Alliance and NYHR who can share knowledge and experience so you can drive forward progress and impact; equipping you with the skills and knowledge to tackle current and future change management and build your leadership capacity.
The programme content includes:
- performance management
- effectively implementing change
- managing conflict
- coaching conversations
- action learning for leadership
- managing conflict
- challenging conversations
- coaching conversations
- holding people to account
- performance management conversations
- action learning in practice
Family flexible policies
- consideration for flexible working
- maternity and adoption leave available for up to 52 days
- access to shared parental leave
- commitment to allow you to attend those special family activities and events
- childcare friendly policies
Health and wellbeing
- access to local gym memberships at discounted rates
- discounts to local and national retailers
- online health assessments, including advice with nutrition, exercise and fitness advice and resources;
- confidential counselling services
- events and activities with a range of times and venues
- eye care appointments and discounts
Staff benefit and discount schemes
- discounts and other offers on financial and professional services, gifts, home and garden products, sport, health and beauty and travel services
- access to salary sacrifice schemes on green cars, cycles, travel, career development qualifications and home technology
For further information about a teachers pension, see the Teachers' Pension website.
For support professionals, there is the Local Government Pension Scheme.