Business Manager – Scarborough UTC
37.5 hours per week, 52 weeks per year - £38,813 - £39,782
Scarborough UTC is a growing school (14-19 admitting up to 150 students in Year 10 and Year 12 each year) and we moved into our brand new building in September 2016. As a University Technical College we offer programmes that include Combined Cadet Force (CCF), which is delivered in partnership with the Navy, Cyber Security and our flagship Career Development Programme for our Sixth Form students.).
Being the coastal hub for engineering and physics and working closely in partnership with our coastal secondary schools and fellow University Technical Colleges across England we are ambitious, innovative and dedicated to the young people of Scarborough and surrounding coastal areas.
In 2018 we welcomed our new Principal and we have over hauled our finance, pastoral systems, curriculum and built a staff team of key support and teaching practitioners who are proud to work at our University Technical College.
Our staff are our greatest resource and we have invested in both our teaching and support staff teams which has placed us in a good position with regards to current educational standards.
Due to the relocation of our current postholder we are looking to appoint in the important post of Business Manager. As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team you will predominately be our lead finance expert and steer and advise us on all budget planning and forecasts. In addition, you will also lead all other business and support functions covering procurement, premises management, health and safety and HR ensuring compliance with statutory requirements.
As a standalone Academy our funding comes direct from the ESFA and we are governed by our Articles of Association and Funding Agreement.
A Business Manager in today’s education world has to wear many hats and in response to some of these challenges we have just completed a restructure of our admin and support functions within college. You will be supported in this role by the Principal, Finance Officer. Site Manager and Network Manager.
We actively welcome interest not just from experienced colleagues within education but those with a strong financial background from other sectors.
What we are looking for in our successful Business Manager
- A minimum AAT Foundation Certificate (or equivalent), and extensive on the job experience i.e. minimum 5 years in a financial, management and leadership role. The requirement for formal qualification might be waived for an exceptionally qualified candidate who can demonstrate financial knowledge and experience of a similar standard.
- Developed leadership skills (strategic planning, effective line management competency, visibility, initiative, proactive approach, and a hands on approach to team support)
- Proven experience of financial management, including providing management information, scenario planning, responding to audits.
- Strong IT and organisational skills (reviewing business processes, streamlining systems, using new technology to improve operations).
- Ideally knowledge and experience of funding streams within education or a similar field
What we can offer in return:
- An excellent opportunity for a finance colleague in either education or another sector to develop their career with a growing University Technical College.
- The opportunity for training and development – both within college and access to finance networks across the Baker Dearing Trust.
- A chance to make a difference to students in our area who are accessing a technical education and on the job training through our employer partners.
Join our College and make a real difference to our children and your career in an area that offers so much! To arrange a visit please contact James on the details below.
The date of commencement for this post will be as soon as possible ideally in March 2020. Interviews will be held as soon as possible after the closing date.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response. All candidates are advised to refer to the job description and person specification before making an application.
For an informal conversation about the role, to arrange a visit or for an Application Form please contact James Annetts at Resourcing Solutions (North Yorkshire County Council) at email@example.com or call 01609 534939 / 07966261249
Deadline for Receipt of Applications: Friday 28th February at 9am
Scarborough UTC is committed to meeting the needs of our diverse community and aims to have a workforce reflecting this diversity. We are also committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.